Sunday 15 May 2011

Some thoughts about my practice

My paintings often involve a collision of urban and natural forms... 

In my paintings I try to evoke a state of experience that is some way between immersion and distance. I believe that our experience of the world is a dialogue between our direct encounters and our subsequent imagining and re-imagining of what we encounter. My paintings often start with a single idea, a memory of a place or event that I find significant enough to want to paint  The imaginary is the psychological aspect of images, and in my painting I am concerned with creating imagined landscapes that draw from my experience of real places but also acknowledge my identification with a romantic imaginary, ...

For me the experience of living in the modern urban world is one of contrast between being immersed in the activity of urban life and the distancing that is important for us to gain a sense of clarity and purpose...
I use thin washes of paint that build up in layers and let it drip, splash and generally behave like paint, and thicker paint to define areas of solidarity. The resulting shifting focus between more and less defined areas is suggestive of how we imagine and remember images, with some details leaping out at us and others obscure and indistinct.

A heightened sense of colour is important in my work as it allows me to evoke a dream-like, hallucinatory atmosphere... 

No comments:

Post a Comment